Saturday, January 5, 2013

~The "Blow-Fish Effect"~




Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or healthcare professional; the statements below are my personal opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt!


Let's get right down to the nitty gritty, shall we?!

This past Wednesday I lost some of my "wisdom" and got this little sucker pried out of my jaw. It was an emergency extraction; I had suddenly lost the ability to eat solids because this guy was sticking me in some tendon and I couldn't open my mouth anymore. Mr. "Mega-tooth" got ripped out of my jaw right before the dentist office closed on Wednesday and I got scheduled to rid my mouth of my remaining "wisdom carriers" next Friday! Yipee!

I couldn't resist taking a picture of my tooth. Quite a beauty, don't you think?!


So why am I boring you with dental details? Well let me give you a little background story:

Apparently I don't fare well with pain killers. I learned this after my ACL-surgery a couple years ago. After getting my knee cut open, my Doctor wrote me a prescription for OxyCotin and Percocet. While the meds knocked me right out, the side effects were rather unpleasant and I broke out in hives and pimples almost immediately. I realized something wasn't ok, so I got off the meds and switched to 800mg of Ibuprofen every 6-8h per my Doctor's recommendation. During my recovery (and increased Ibuprofen intake) I gained a lot of weight which I assumed had to do with my lack of exercise.

Here's where the tooth story comes in; are you ready?!

This past Wednesday, after the tooth extraction,  my dentist wanted to put me on some high dosage stuff (to make me feel better after I started looking like Alvin's twin brother). I told him about my past reaction to painkiller "big wigs", so he presented me with a less aggressive option called "Ibuprofen".

You know what happened next? Within 48h I gained a whopping 8 pounds!


I went from looking like this....



To this...



Good heavens! After reflecting on everything I had eaten in the last 48h since my surgery, taking into account my caloric and fluid intake, I came to the conclusion that such an enormous weight gain didn't make any sense. The only obvious change was my Ibuprofen intake (are you starting to notice a common theme here...?!) 

I then consulted my dear friend, the all-knowing "Mr. Google", to see if he had anything helpful to say about my problem. I combined the words "Ibuprofen and weight gain" in my glorious search-engine and guess what popped up? A whole lot! Read more here!

After receiving confirmation that Ibuprofen has been linked to water retention in the past, I made a quick inventory of my life and realized there were other occasions where I'd gained enormous amounts of weight seemingly out of nowhere:

-When I had Pneumonia
-Before my wedding, when I was suffering from muscle cramps
-During my special "lady days"
-After my knee surgery
-Whenever I have a headache

...and you just wouldn't believe what I was taking during those times:

Ibuprofen, Motrin or Advil



Conclusion: My body apparently sees pain-killers as a cue to immediately retain vast amounts of water. I have a strange feeling I'm not alone, so maybe next time you stand on the scale and notice you could suddenly join the "sumo-ringer world series", you may want to think about the pills you've been consuming. I'm just saying...

Well, there you have it. I plan on reporting back to you after 48h of "Ibuprofen-free life" and will let you know if that won't reverse my currently very bloated self to something more "normal" looking. I sure hope so!

Love,
Wella aka "The Blow-Fish"



Update:
-Total weight lost in 12h (Ibuprofen free): 5lbs!!
-Total weight lost in 48h (Ibuprofen free): 8lbs :)










3 comments:

  1. Another hysterical post by a "Belser" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT post! B(lowfish)-ella! Me thinks I should look at my ibuprofen intake and what happens when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I've never heard of painkillers having that kind of effect on people. Pretty crazy! I'm sure at this point, you're feeling like yourself again, I hope?

    ReplyDelete